Thursday, October 10, 2013

NaBloPoMo Day 10 ~

Which is better to jump in: a leaf pile or a puddle?


I grew up in the deserts of Southern Arizona and we didn't have leaf piles to jump in. Rain puddles were more common during what is known as the *Monsoon Season* mid June to mid August. And we spent many afternoons wading in the flood waters that had accumulated in the streets and sometimes in the washes if the current wasn't too dangerous.

I didn't fully experience leaf piles until we moved to Maryland in 2002 and by then I'm a full blown adult. However, I did fall in love with the crunch of the dry leaves as I walked through them across our front yard in Millersville. And I continued that love affair when we moved to Michigan in 2006.  But I was able to fully enjoy the leaves after we moved to North Carolina and especially after the Witchling was able to be outside and learn new things.

My memories of puddle jumping will always be with me, but now I'm making new memories with the leaves and I'd have to say I prefer leaves to puddles.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in areas that were cold Like the East coast and Germany, my dad was in the Army. We settled in El Paso Texas where we had mostly water puddles. The wind usually blew the leaves away so we never had piles of them.

    ReplyDelete