Wednesday, October 2, 2013

NaBloPoMo AND NaBloWriMo Day 2 ~ What is Your Favorite Autumnal Flavor?

Yes, I know... I'm cheating. The truth is I don't feel well. So I am going to take a warm bath, get into my comfies and find a cup of tea with honey and cinnamon and then crawl up into my bed and not come back out until sometime tomorrow.

My favorite flavor for Autumn?? Hmmm, again I do not have just one, but I can narrow it down to two.

Apple ~ everything apple and apple cider. Pies, hot caramel apple cider, apple cider donuts, spiced apple fritters. Apple chips, Fuji apple salad from Panera.

My Momma used to bake us a cake she learned how to make when she was just a girl growing up in the mountains of Western Virginia. She called it apple sauce stack cakes and it was unbelievable. There were 7 or 8 thin layers of a spice cake, with fresh homemade apple sauce spiced with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice in between each layer. When served, she would add a spoonful of apple sauce for an extra oomph and you had instant nirvana. I do not have the original recipe she used, nothing was ever written down, but I did find one that sounds close enough and I'm going to add this to my harvest feast.

I even have mulled cider candles burning through out my house, well at least until I change to the pumpkin spice, LOL!!

Pumpkin ~ yeah, like many others I am a sucker for anything pumpkin. Did you know Dunkin Donuts makes pumpkin pie donuts? All I can say is they rival Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. Evenly! And this year Target has an exclusive on Pumpkin Spice M&M's, I am not joking. If you like pumpkin, you need to find these.

Even though I am a pumpkin lover, I am not overly crazy about a normal pumpkin pie. I know, crazy right?? That's OK though, I can get my pumpkin fix numerous ways... pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin coffee, pumpkin coffee creamer, pumpkin cake & cookies, and my all time favorite... pumpkin cheesecake! Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my poor dear, not you too. I'm stuck in bed. I have bronchitis; my cold took that wrong turn so I'm here in bed reading blogs and news papers online.
    Please get well, don't let whatever is ailing you get worse. Just reading your blog today made me want to get out of bed and bake and make things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For one meal last week, we grilled pork loins that had been marinated in a special apple juice concoction. We paired it with an apple wine and enjoyed apple crisp for dessert. Too much apple?? I think it was a-peeling on several levels! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete