Tuesday, June 18, 2013

We Are Moved in and Mostly Settled

Make sure you've taken a bathroom break and have something to drink... possibly a snack too. This is MUCH longer than I had anticipated. I apologize in advance.

We've been here in the new house for two weeks now and I've finally manged to get a handle on the unpacking and putting things into place. I have got to tell you I LOVE this house. Yes, it's a double wide mobile home, yes it's on 0.6 acres of land (which means our yard is huge), and yes it's an awesome improvement over the previous place. I've held off blogging about it because I promised pictures and I wanted to get things mostly organized so I didn't take pictures of the millions (OK, just about 25) of boxes we had, LOL!!

I still have a few odds and ends I want to buy to liven up the walls and brighten up the ambiance, but I'm in no rush to do so. Since we pretty much have an *absentee* landlord (he lives in Wilmington about 2 hours away and won't be dropping in unexpected or uninvited) I want to shop around and buy what *fits* us, instead of trying to keep our lifestyle and beliefs in the closet. The previous landlord was always coming by, checking on things (unless I called and complained about the roof leaking) so I kept all my Craft secluded in the one bedroom. I have the freedom in this house to be me, the real me.  I've also added a few more *household* items to my wish list that keeps growing as the weeks go by, and again these things are gonna be purchased as I find just the right one.

Since I left most of my things in Arizona when Jimmy & I moved away from there in 2002, I've never been one for having lots of nik nacks, or Tchotchkes. It's not that I don't like decorative things, I just didn't have the setting or place to have them added to my world. And I think I was a bit depressed that I had to leave so many things behind not once but twice when we  moved from Michigan to NC in 2008. That's all about to change. I LOVE Pier One, Home Goods, and Kirkland's! I always have enjoyed browsing through the stores but never thought about incorporating the things I found into my own home. So over the next few  months, years, etc. I'm going to begin adding *dust catchers as my Dad called them* to our new home.

I promised I'd post pictures as soon as I got things pretty much how I want them to be settled, so here ya go:
This is the view of our living room from the entry way. To the right of the sectional are the 3 East facing windows that look out onto our front deck. The sectional and chair & ottoman are what we chose to replace the plum sofa & love seat we had before that wouldn't fit in through the doors here in the new house. To the right of the fireplace (it's wood burning and I am looking forward to winter) is the built in shelves and cabinets I'm using for my *main* altar. It's a work in progress and I'll post pictures as I complete it. To the left of the fireplace is the built ins I'm making into a bar area. I need to find a wine rack for my Duplin's and Starrlight Mead, and add to the collection of glasses I have. You can't tell from this picture but the chair actually has an ottoman. I have claimed this as my seating area and LOVE how comfortable it is.

The built in on the right of the fireplace. It's on the East wall and I felt it was perfect for my main altar. I have a lot of work to do here, but the basics are out and I've already put it to good use with a protection spell... The picture you see leaning against the back wall is an autographed print I was lucky enough to get from Jessica Galbreth while we lived in Michigan. She had a permanent store front at the Michigan Ren Faire until she chose to no longer paint the fantasy series. I have quite a few items I've added to my wish list for this house. The great thing about those items is that I'm  looking for things that aren't location specific and I can incorporate them into any place we move in the future. For instance, there is an area just inside the living room on the right before you get to the end table and sectional (you can't see it in the picture I took, sorry) where I want to put a potted Ficus tree. There is enough light for it to flourish, and room for it to grow and spread out. The plus of this is I can move it... anywhere.

This is a closer picture of the left side built in where I'm adding things for a bar area. Jimmy says he can add a rack to hang my stemware, so that's a plus.  Of course I *need* a wine rack to hold my bottles. As you can see there are only 3 ATM, all I can say is it's been a rough few weeks, LOL!! That just means I have a road trip to Starrlight Meadery in the near future and since we are relatively close to the Duplin Winery, I'm thinking a Saturday road trip is on the horizon as well.

Most of the walls are still bare, I left our prints and artwork in Michigan when we moved to NC. A little at a time I'll replace the things that were important to us and add new things as we grow into our life and relationship. I look forward to being able to showcase the things that bring us joy. There is one item I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to replace. When we lived in AZ, we spent quite a bit of time in Las Vegas. We absolutely LOVED  staying at the Mirage and walking through the Secret Garden with all the big cats. On our last trip, we purchased a *bust* of 2 tigers, one was a white tiger which is Jimmy's main totem. I've looked online and at various gift shops we've been through, but haven't been able to find one with the quality of workmanship as the one that was left behind.

This is the fireplace... it's wood burning and has a fan for blowing the heat out into the room. Wonder if this will help to cut down on the heating costs for the winter? I am looking forward to Yule and Christmas this year. I haven't had a mantle for stockings since the last time I celebrated the holidays with my parents in Arizona. I can imagine it with greenery, ribbons and stockings for Jimmy, Tanya, Ravyn and myself. Oooo, come on winter, LOL!!
This is a closer picture of the center mirror over the fireplace. I have a sterling silver and crystal spider hanging there. She is the link to the past and to the future, she is the grandmother and the weaver of dreams, she connects us to the spirit world and is the one who weaves the threads of our relationships, She always has a place of honor in my home. This spider web is one of the few things that somehow made the trip from Michigan. I don't even remember packing it, but found her in my box of Vickie's must have gotta go stuff when I unpacked it while we lived in the hotel for 6 months before finding our first place once we got to Raleigh. That box had the Gothique statue that sits on my altar, some candles, my Faerie books and a few bottles of essential oils.

To the left of the television is the entry way which has a narrow shelf with 3 cabinet doors. Inside these doors are two narrow shelves and above the cabinet is a large mirror. I have NO idea what to put into the cabinet, but I'm thinking about adding a plant or two to the shelf. Just have to make sure it's a shade loving plant or a *gasp* silk plant. To the right of the telly is the hallway that leads to Tanya & Ravyn's part of the house. Just inside the hallway on the left is a good sized coat closet, then Tanya's room. At the end of the hall is the linen closet and then Ravyn's room to the right of that door. Next is their bathroom and you are back into the main part of the house.

This picture shows the corner built ins. For now, I have all my books there and behind the doors are the boxes I have yet to unpack. Ravyn has a little area there as well with her books, a few toys, her coloring books and pads and her little chair. I am seriously thinking about buying either a love seat and putting it where the chair/ottoman are currently and moving the chair/ottoman to this corner to make a mini library/reading area. Either that or I'm just going to get another chair, this is one of those things that is in the want to do list, but have NO set time frame to accomplish it.

To the right of the built in you can see the snack bar where I have hung my Faerie besom. It was actually the first thing I hung/placed in the house. Even before the furniture was delivered or arranged. I made this from a rustic cinnamon broom that I found on one of our trips to South Carolina. The faerie sitting on her is one that hung in my window but kept falling out (guess she didn't like all the bright light, LOL) and the ribbon bow is from the Yule wreath for 2011 when I use blue and purple decorations. I LOVE being able to re-purpose things... and I've found a few second hand stores to feed my addiction.

WOW! This turned out to be lots longer than I anticipated, but not to worry, I'm almost finished. Next in the tour is the kitchen. The first time I saw this house I was by myself, no Jimmy, no Tanya... all by my lonesome. So after I paid the deposit and was given access to it even during the construction I made quite a few trips over to see the progress. I brought Jimmy with me on one of those trips and he was worried the kitchen was too small.
It IS a lot smaller than the place we just moved from and smaller than you would think this big house should  have, but it's much more organized with a better layout. It's a galley style kitchen and it works GREAT for me. Sides, I'm very particular about my kitchen and who cooks in it so the fit is perfect as far as I'm concerned. I don't waste steps while cooking nor do I have to worry about extra cabinet space to keep clean. The only *problem* I found is there aren't enough overhead cabinets, but I decided to put my dishes and glasses in the built in cabinet in the dining room. I'm more than pleased with that choice...

Speaking of the built in in the dining room, there are 3 doors as you can see, behind each door are two shelves giving me three levels to put things. In the far left are all my teas and tea brewing items. I think there are probably 15 or so canisters of tea on the bottom shelf. The middle portion has bowls, glassware, cloth napkins and my carving set. The right side stores my tableware, some more glasses and serving pieces. The cabinet underneath houses plastic *gasp* glasses and miscellaneous things I could find a home for. My canning jars are in the right side, both shelves. When I was told they weren't going to put carpet back in the dining room I coulda walked on water. There is nothing worse as far as I'm concerned than trying to clean the carpet under the table where every one eats at least twice a day.

Almost finished! Here's the master bedroom. These windows are 32 inches wide and I didn't want to have mini blinds on them. So, I put a single panel from the curtains I had in the Craft room in the other house on each window, added a drapery hook to hold them back and I have instant swagged curtains. The wall paper is a floral with burgundy, teal green, blue, light peach and cream. I knew I had blue linens so I picked that color out of the wallpaper and ran with it. I can't decide what to put on the empty wall above the bed. It's a toss up between this or both of these.

This is my makeup table which fits perfectly into the alcove between the 2 large closets. It's on the east facing wall and I have more than enough natural light for doing my makeup and I can open the curtain and let the moon shine into the bedroom as well. And while the closets are not walk in, they are more than large enough for all Jimmy's clothes and I'm still able to store his fishing gear in his without the worry of messing something up. My closet is a tiny bit bigger and all my clothes and shoes fit with no problem, LOL!! Besides if I had a larger closet I'd just need more clothes and shoes to fill it up and that would mean more to move next time... NOT!!

This is the area at the foot of the bed (have I told you this bedroom is MUCH larger than the master in the other house?) where we have chosen to put the *office*. Everything fits nicely on this wall and we still have more than enough room to move around without banging onto the furniture. Our desk is the table from my Craft room so when I get back into the sewing mode, I'll be using the dining room table for that. The wireless printer is on the left of the desk are and the shelves on the right with the TV will eventually be replaced by an upright chest of drawers.

Two more and you will have had the grand tour via photos of the new Chateau L'Esperance. Finally we come to the room that has proven to be my sanctuary and my sanity. For many people all you'd see is a large bathroom. And it is that... a large master bathroom. To me, it's the place I can go to at the end of my day and have just a tiny bit of alone time while I soak away the day in a candle lit lavender bubble bath, or stand under the shower massage and work out the kinks in my upper back and shoulders. Again, this room is a work in progress. In the near future I'll be adding some more towels, a couple bath rugs and maybe even a few wall hangings of some sort. The first photo is of my side. I chose this side because it has more storage space and what woman doesn't have more need for bathroom storage than their man? It's also the side with the HUGE tub. I love this tub! It's deep and perfect size for me to stretch out in...ahhhh.

This is the side I delegated to Jimmy... it is smaller by one cabinet and is on the same side as the shower. There is more than enough storage for both of us and a little left over in spite of all my *personal hygiene items*, LOL!! There used to be a set of double doors from the master bedroom to the master bath, I had Jimmy take them down and it really opened up the entire combined rooms. 

Well, there you have the whole shebang, and I apologize for it being SO long. But, I know me and if I had tried to split it up into two or more posts I would have lost interest and I'd never gotten around to sharing. I sincerely hope you weren't bored and thanks so much for sticking it out and taking the whole tour. 

I didn't give you any pictures of the outside yet... I haven't had much time to work on the deck or the flower beds. And we have a nasty invasion of ants. I'm allergic to ant bites so I stay out of their way as much as I can. We have some diatomaceous earth on order for our infestations (we also have ticks and fleas and mosquitoes, *sigh*) and as soon as I am comfortable being outside with all the critters, I'll work on the outside and post those pictures too.

6 comments:

  1. SQEEEEEEEEEE! You have the most perfect place! I love the little library and the fireplace and the way the bed fits just perfectly between the windows! Oh and the Bathroom is WOW! I could go on and on. LUCKY!
    You are so blessed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whee, that was fun. I love the master with the windows on both sides of the bed. I vote for the flute poster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new place! I adore that tub!

    Never apologize for a long blog post. I looove longer posts that give lots of details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a beautiful place! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete