Sunday, February 17, 2013

Everlasting Orchids

Saturday evening I was involved in a conversation on Facebook about a company that claims to naturally preserve the beauty of flowers, butterflies and dragonflies in jewelry. After some digging around I found there is NOTHING natural about this company.

To begin with, when they were asked HOW they got their butterflies and dragonflies, they side stepped the question with an *I'll have to get back to you on that*. They were asked again and again chose to not answer a very simple question, HOW do you get/harvest the insects used for your pieces? After repeated inquiries with NO response, they were removed from the friends list.

However, if you go to their Facebook  page and read their About section you will find this:

Our flowers are perfectly preserved from the inside out with a resin structure. Frozen in time, exactly as it grew. Everlasting Orchids based in Taos, New Mexico, specializes in REAL Gems from Mother Nature. Our Jewelry is created from AUTHENTIC - NATURAL Orchids & Butterflies ... frozen in time and perfectly preserved. Made From REAL Orchids & Butterflies!

While some may say there is nothing wrong with wearing the jewelry made from real flowers and butterflies, and even consider the items in question to be more than pretty and original, I cannot support or wear something that has the probability of being *harvested* while still living to be coated in a *resin* to "preserve the natural beauty" of the piece. 

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be wearing a pair of butterfly earrings and hear the screams of that same butterfly that has been frozen in time ringing in my ears ... 

3 comments:

  1. So glad you've brought this to the attention of more people. I can sort of see if they were using butterflies that had died naturally (even though ~I~ still would not wear them), however, it does ~not~ seem that this is their practice at all. It makes me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't want to wear insects at all. While butterflies and dragonflies are pretty, I wouldn't consider them "jewelry" or accessories. That's not even touching on the possible unethical practice of this company.

    I wouldn't have a problem with the orchid or other flowers though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers......maybe. Though using marketing like "real gems from Mother Nature" is funny to me because there are literal 'gems' from Mother Nature which can be quite real.

    The insects? *shudder* no way!! I feel the same about leather and fur!

    ReplyDelete