Thursday, October 25, 2012

Ten Things Thursday ~ 10 of my Favorite Books

Since I began doing this meme, I've given you lots of information. I love doing this because it gives me the chance to go back in my memories and pull things out I may  have not visited in awhile.

For today's post, I've dusted off my current bookshelf and pulled some of the books I've read over the years and kept for one reason or another. Jimmy sometimes gets irritated with me about keeping some of the things I do, especially if he has to move them from one location or another, LOL!  In no certain order, here are 10 of my favorite book and their author (in case you want to google them or something). I hope you enjoy them...

1. Eat, Pray Love by Liz Gilbert ~ I found this book when I was attending the Triangle Pagans Book Club while living in Raleigh, NC. This was one we chose to read and discuss during one of our monthly meetings. I LOVE this book! There is so much Ms. Gilbert gives to anyone who may be searching for themselves but have no indication where to begin looking. I'd also love to be able to go to India and Bali to strengthen my spiritual path. The book has been made into a movie starring Julia Roberts, and I can't think of a better actress to portray Liz Gilbert. This is also one of the movies I have on my Amazon Wish List and hope to be able to purchase it in the near future.

2. The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop ~ This is actually three books in one and I will tell you right off the bat, these books are NOT for everyone. They are of the Fantasy genre and are considered by many to be very dark. There is a lot of violence and abuse. However, it is also the story of Witch, who she is, how she came to be and how she leads her coven. I love the characters, all of them and have read this trilogy probably 6 or 7 times. There are also sequal books in the series which I highly recommend.

3. The Woman With the Alabaster Jar by Margaret Starbird ~ I have always believed Jesus was just like any other mortal man while he walked on the earth. I believe he was married and his wife was Mary Magdalen, I believe they had a child together. I also believe after Jesus was crucified, Mary his wife was smuggled out of the country to give birth to their child and raised that child alone as a single mother. This book was written by a Catholic scholar who questioned not only her faith, but her education as well. "The Woman with the Alabaster Jar is a quest for the forgotten feminine--in the hope that its return will help restore a healthy balance to planet Earth."

4. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness ~ When this first came out I was just as excited as the rest of the people who had been waiting for its release. I wasn't disappointed. This is a book written by a historian and is full of historical happenings. I love the story of Diana and Matthew and her exploration of the powers she had tried to keep buried for a long time. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the trilogy "Shadow of Night".

5. Skye O'Malley by Bertrice Small ~ I fell in love with this character within the first few paragraphs of this book. She's a strong independent young woman who first tries to defy her family for love, but ends up bowing to her father's wishes. By the time you get midpoint in the book, Skye has been named * chieftain* of their clan and antagonizes Queen Elizabeth. There is an entire line up of Skye O'Malley books and if you like Historical Fiction at all I can wholeheartedly recommend anything written by Bertrice Small. She just does not disappoint her readers.

6. Circle of Stones & I Sit Listening to the Wind by Judith Duerk ~ These two books go together, read Circle of Stones first as it will give you the beginnings of how to search for the divine feminine. Throughout both books you are challenged "How might your life have been different if . . . ?"

7. A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K Hamilton ~ First let me admit I *used* to be a huge LKH fan and read everything she released. At first I was totally into the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter books, but they seem to be getting more and more repetitious with nothing new in any of that series. I've stopped buying the Anita Blake books. I still read the Merry Gentry series, maybe because there are only 8 books in this series and so far they keep the reader involved, much like the Anita bookes used to do.  Merry Gentry is a Faerie Princess and part of the Unseelie court. It's not easy to give you a review of these books, there is MUCH detail, and a lot of sci-fi/fantasy. If you don't mind explicit details of everything in the story line, I can highly recommend the Merry Gentry series by Laurell K Hamilton.

8. The Tir Alainn Trilogy by Anne Bishop ~ This is actually 3 individual books, The Pillars of the World, Shadows and Light and The House of Gaian, and if you decide to read this series PLEASE read them in the order I just listed, otherwise you will miss a lot of information and be so confused, you'll probably stop reading them. These books follow the growth and journey of a young Witch through more chaos than any could imagine. On top of the trials she goes through, there is a hunter who is evil incarnate, trying to wipe out the Witches who are the keepers of the earth. Again this can be considered dark by some standards.

9. Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon ~ Acheron or Ash as he is known throughout all of  the books written by Sherrilyn Kenyon is the Elder of the Dark Hunters. Through Acheron we finally see who he really is, where he came from and why he has such a cold heart and refuses to love. Ash continues to watch over the Dark Hunters and keep them as safe as he possibly can. He also begins to thaw a bit and there is the possibility of love for him after all.

10. The Kadin by Bertrice Small ~ Yes as you can see I am a fan of Bertrice Small, and even though her books are considered smut, trash and worthless by some people, I really enjoy her stories. She researches her characters which give more credence to the setting and activities she writes about. The Kadin is actually her very first book, and it is set in Scotland and moves on to the harem of Sultan Selim, where Cyra/Lady Janet Leslie becomes not only the first wife to the Sultan but also the most powerful woman in his harem. The books by Bertrice Small are easy to read, a wonderful way to block out the real world, and run away for a while.

So there you have another installment of Ten Things Thursday. If you read any of the books I've listed, please come back and let me know what you think of them. I love having another perspective on books, music and life...

Till next time...have a great week and be safe!

1 comment:

  1. Loved "Eat Pray Love" - both the book and the movie which is unusual for me. I typically hate movies based on books because they always seem to betray the essence of the story. This one was spot on, though. I don't think you'll be disappointed. My husband loved it just as much as I did and though he willingly watches "chick flicks" with me, this one was a great deal more than that. I think you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete