Sunday, October 7, 2012

NaBloWriMo ~ Day 7 ~ Phone Calls From Home

I just got off the phone after talking to my Momma in AZ for almost an hour. I love getting these phone calls, but not too long ago I wasn't able to say that. To say things have been strained between my family and me would be putting it very mildly. It took quite a while for us to move away from the problems and get back to the point where we could talk... and now we try to talk at least every couple of weeks.

My mother isn't doing too well with her health, she's diabetic and has trouble with her feet and legs. She has other problems as well, but my brother, who she lives with is taking very good care of her and trying to keep her motivated to get some exercise. It's not an easy task to do, he even got her a treadmill because the land around the house is too uneven and rocky for her to be able to safely walk around outside.

Now mind you, my brother also has health problems, he's living with something called *Oat Cell* Carcinoma. This type of cancer is incurable, treatable, but it will never go away or go into remission. It's also one of the most rapidly moving and progressing cancer's there is. He's been through chemotherapy and radiation therapy, and at this point, the cancerous cells have not grown or spread and he's taking things one day at a time.

Sometimes I think I should probably move back to Arizona. I wouldn't be able to survive there. As selfish as it sounds, I'd much rather find a place large enough for my mother to come stay with us IF she so chooses. That would take part of the burden off my brother and he could possibly go to Colorado to see his youngest daughter and her family. I also can't bring myself to move farther away from Maryland where my oldest daughter lives... she has her own health problems... and they too are life altering.

In these types of situations there is never the perfect solution. You try to figure out what would be best for everyone involved including yourself and most times you come up against a brick wall. I don't have the answers, I just hope I'll figure out what to do before it becomes one of those *must do* situations.

At any rate, I LOVE getting phone calls from home, and I'm glad we can talk once again...

3 comments:

  1. That is nice Vicki...My mom and I started talking again after the girls were born. Now me and her are almost best friends. It seems being apart and thinking puts things in prespective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the "no easy answers" part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep telling you that you need to do what is right for you.

    ReplyDelete