Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday Munchies ~ Spiced Apple Cider With Caramel Sauce and REAL Whipped Cream

When Autumn comes around my house takes on all the fantastic aroma's that go hand in hand with the season. I love making this recipe, I let it simmer in the crock pot for the biggest part of the day and you can smell the deliciousness the minute you walk in my door. I've changed it up over the years, added a few ingredients, and removed some as well. This is what I brewed over this past weekend:

Spiced Apple Cider

Picture Credit laFETE

Ingredients

1 gallon apple cider (I prefer natural over processed/pasteurized)

3 sticks cinnamon

10 - 12 whole cloves

2 tbs dark brown sugar

Pour the cider into the crock pot and set it to high. Break each cinnamon stick in half and add directly into the cider. Add the cloves and stir in the brown sugar. (Note* Some people prefer to use either a cheese cloth or a tea ball to hold the cinnamon sticks and cloves. I prefer to have them floating in the liquid as I feel the oils give it a little extra kick).

Heat on high for 1 hour, and then reduce heat to low for at least 4 more hours. Let cool, skim spice residue off top and return to clean gallon container. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.

Caramel Sauce
(I adapted this recipe from one I found by Ree Drummond from Food Network)


Ingredients

1 packed cup dark brown sugar

1/2 cup half-and-half

4 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions

Mix the brown sugar, half-and-half, and butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until it gets thicker. Add the vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further. Turn off the heat, cool slightly or enough to easily handle and pour the sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold.

Home Made Whipped Cream

Ingredients

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1 tbs sugar or stevia extract to taste

1 tsp real vanilla extract

Freeze beaters and glass bowl for 30 minutes prior to making. Pour all ingredients into frozen bowl, and whip on high until stiff peaks form, about 3 or 4 minutes. Store in covered container in refrigerator up to 1 week.

To Serve

Heat cider in microwavable container or on stove top. Drizzle caramel sauce in circular pattern on inside of serving cup, add heated cider. Top with 1 TBS whipped cream and drizzle a bit more caramel sauce over the top. ENJOY!

I have NO idea of the calorie count, and since I only serve this around the holiday when I refuse to count calories, I honestly don't care how many. Besides, my Momma always told  me holiday food and drinks are guilt free, LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment