Friday, September 7, 2012

I Just Don't Understand It...

This is me being highly opinionated and it's going to be LONG... so if you plan to continue reading, take a bathroom break now, get something to drink and settle in... go ahead, I'll wait for you to come back.

Here we go... I have friends from many walks of life, they are as individual as each star in the night sky. I love each and every one of them and their diversity makes our discussions more than interesting. However I am a bit confused about the political stance of some of the friends both male and female in two categories. Not only confused but also somewhat frightened, and worried. Have these friends actually researched their stance? Do they really not see what is happening around them? Or are they among the many who have determined to make it the *goal* to have President Obama as a *one term president * as many of the GOP politicians have been very vocal about bringing to pass?

I realize the *promises* our President made to this country back in 2008 when he was running for office haven't all come to fruition. I know he hasn't been able to keep his word on everything he vowed to do for us. But I see every day some amazing changes he has made. I also understand our country was in such poor condition, it would have taken Moses himself parting the Red Sea (think miracle here) to even hit the tip of the problems we were facing. I don't wear rose colored glasses. Jimmy was unemployed for over 14 months because the economy was in such sad shape. I know how hard it is to survive on less then $250 a week.

Here is where I get to the point of this entry. First, I'd like to address the GOP's stance on women. It is my understanding from listening to speeches from the GOP convention, commercial ads on both TV and radio and articles posted all over the internet that members of the GOP believe with every ounce of their being that women are mindless creatures who "need to be taken care of" in every aspect of their lives. I cannot for the life of me understand why any woman living in the real world of 2012 would stand for this but also actually vote for the republican candidate for president. The GOP want to severely limit our intelligence by not only deciding how we live or make a living, or by defining how we take care of our own bodies, but they also want to redefine the word RAPE.

On top of redefining the meaning of rape, they have also determined that abortion even in cases of rape or incest should be illegal, and if a woman is *legitimately raped* there is no way she can become pregnant because the female body *shuts down the reproductive enzymes* that causes pregnancy. Where in the hell do these people come up with this crap and how can a person with any sense of intelligence and decency even think about believing their dribble?

Next they want to do away with birth control of any kind, as well as making it illegal to have an abortion. Doesn't this take us back to the time before abortions became legal? Back to the time where there were too many women dying after having a back alley abortion? I'm not condoning abortion as a form of birth control. I want legal birth control methods and I want legal abortion practices. I believe in abortion in cases of rape, incest and when the life of the mother is in danger, NOT as birth control. I feel if you want to play, you need to woman up and pay if you find your self in an undesirable condition. There are more than enough people who can't have children who are trying desperately to adopt.

I avidly support birth control for health reasons. From personal experience I have to say, birth control pills were the saving grace for me. I had horrible periods that led to monthly bouts of being anemic and needing extra iron supplements. Along with heavy duty drugs for the pain. After I had my eldest and was put on birth control pills, my periods evened out, the bleeding and pain lessened and I was able to stop living on prescription pain meds and iron supplements. Both of my daughters have also had these same experiences and thanks to doctors who actually listened and then gave them birth control they live a less debilitating life each time their moon cycle comes around.

I'm also very confused about how anyone would feel it's right and fair to not pay women equally for the same work they do that men also do. The Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act give all women the right to receive equal  pay as their male counterparts. This is yet one more thing the GOP has vowed to overturn if they are elected. I don't know about you, but that is more than discriminatory. It is also unethical, but then again the GOP isn't known for their ethics. (BTW, remember I used to be republican and I also worked in Senator John McCain's Arizona office for a time when I was younger. I remember many of the things that were discussed during that time of my life.)

Are you still with me? I'm still on women's issues. The other day Jimmy & I were talking about how the current GOP is bent on destroying the progress we have made (even the little progress made under the Bush administration is better than what we have to look forward to if this candidate is elected) and trying for the life of us how anyone with any common sense would actually want to live the 20's, 30's 40's and 50's all over again. I don't want to have the need to fight for civil rights, we have come too far as a country to go backwards. I for one don't want to have to wear a dress everywhere I go, if I'm allowed to even leave my house. I have the right to wear pants if I want, to not wear a bra if I want and to VOTE. I refuse to let anyone take these things that women before me have not only fought for, but gone to prison for and yes, even died for. The blood of my predecessors is too precious to let their fight be for nothing.

Now we are moving on to how it seems the GOP wants to re write the US Constitution to *return the US to a country with God as the central focus*. Ummm, in all my history classes I NEVER saw, heard or read where our country was a Christian nation. As a matter of fact Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli plainly states  "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" and the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the US Constitution "prohibits the government from making any law “respecting an establishment of religion.” This clause not only forbids the government from establishing an official religion, but also prohibits government actions that unduly favor one religion over another. It also prohibits the government from unduly preferring religion over non-religion, or non-religion over religion."

So again, I want to know if you have actually studied our American History, how anyone can justify their belief of the United States is a Christian nation? This country was founded on the premise of freedom of religion, the freedom that many of our ancestors not only fled their home country in search of, but MANY actually died in search of. Our country is so diverse and so educated, I am having a very difficult time grasping where these backwards thoughts are coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I am completely alright if you want to worship as a Christian, you have that right as an American citizen. But I also have the right to worship as I choose, and so do many other people who also call themselves American. I honestly have no problem with how anyone worships, and I'll fight with my last breath to uphold that right for you. In return I want the same rights and privilege as any other American. I want to be able to make my own decisions within the constitutional provisions. I want to have the freedom of choice in religion, health care, or marriage.

I'm going to borrow something Jimmy posted on his Facebook Timeline the other day, and with this I'm stepping off my soap box and putting it away... for this time.

"Please take the time to learn about the candidates for president. STOP using your vote for someone you know nothing about simply because he's along a certain party line and that's the way your mommy or daddy voted. A woman voting for Romney simply has no mind of her own. And any man who votes for Romney has no respect for the women in his life. I know that my life will never equal my dreams and ambitions... I screwed that up a long time ago. I did have the same chances as anyone else maybe even more than many. I do however have grandchildren that have dreams and goals and mighty ambitions...so I will be voting for Barrack Obama".

6 comments:

  1. It strikes me as funny that the GOP is screaming about the idea of "redefining marriage" but seems perfectly content to redefine rape. And apparently, they want to redefine conception as happening two weeks before it actually happens, so they're trying to redefine time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I think they want to redefine everything they don't agree with. And I really don't understand the logic or lack there of. I mean, most of these people are supposed to be highly educated, but they look and act like some of the most ignorant people I have ever come across.

      Delete
  2. Miss Vickie, I could write a book, but the problem is better and more informed researchers than I have done so. You might enjoy reading Susan Faludi if you haven't already done so.

    "Legitimate rape" is a concept that fills me with horror and anger. I consider myself an honorable, chivalrous (I hope, at least, in a non-sexist manner) gentleman. I do not see how the two words "legitimate rape" can be combined into a single concept. As I have read elsewhere, in such a case, the victim is raped twice.

    I believe that what we are looking at is desperation pure and simple; the desperation of a mind-set that feels threatened, even physically threatened. It has nothing to do with the gentle Jesus I learned about in Sunday School. Even if I never took Jesus as my savior I can respect those teachings.

    Riane Eisler, in The Chalice and the Blade, calls it dominance psychology. Think of the behavior of power elites -- patriarchal power elites in particular -- and you have the general picture. Imagine the family patriarch who will brook not the least resistance to his rule, even unto his least whim, and you have what I think of as a shorthand image of the reality that confronts us.



    ReplyDelete
  3. No gentleman, as I understand the term, could condone the serious, intentional use of such a self-contradicting phrase as "legitimate rape." No gentle person of either gender could do so. Rape is non-consensual sexual intercourse. By definition the act itself is not legitimate.

    Perhaps the person meant to imply that the sexual act in question was in fact rape; nonetheless, the word choice goes beyond the unfortunate and raises questions of subconscious intent.

    The idea that rape prohibits pregnancy is scientifically fallacious. Only a sick and twisted mind could believe, or perhaps more to the point, WANT to believe, otherwise. To make such a heinous crime into a political football, to me, reveals the mindset of a psychologically disturbed person. By extension, one must wonder about anyone who believes such drivel.

    I don't understand religious fundamentalism. To me it's more about political power than it is about anything truly of the spirit. Once one makes that identification, much of what goes on in the present Republican Party makes sense. Pursuit of power in the ugliest and most absolute sense; power over our very thoughts, our inmost spirit.

    The very thing American was founded to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be honest; I'm not at ALL in agreement with the GOP. I don't particularly like Romney/Ryan. I also think religion and politics should NOT mix. But I also do NOT like our current president. He has done very little towards uniting this country, instead making us a very divided country; he has clear-cut lied about numerous things, and even stated -without a teleprompter- that if he could not cut the deficit in half within four years he would resign. He didn't come anywhere near cutting the deficit, but he did help add to it. I actually sat down and read the entire released Obamacare proposition; it stinks. It smacks of some very terrible ideas. Are there a handful of good things? Yes, but it's covered by stupidity and drowned in hypocrisy.

    Saying I don't like President Obama has absolutely nothing to do with his skin color, or the fact his mother was Irish and his father Kenyan. I don't care if he is atheist, muslim, or christian (or any other). I just do not like him. I don't like Romney, either. I don't care that he is white, or mormon.

    I cannot in good conscience vote for either candidate and not later feel guilty for either destroying the country and our freedom that I helped work for, along with many friends and family past and present, or destroying the country and women's rights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Vicki. I thought I was the only one who really felt this way. I myself can't understand why the Republicans are back on abortion. My husband says because they have nothing else to argue about. I think this attack on women is ridicuoulus and driving me crazy. I want it to stop already. Come on we had a woman running for president. Thank you for posting this. :)

    Stevie

    ReplyDelete