1. I'm not always as strong as I try to make others believe I am. Sometimes I wish I could stay curled up in my blankets and let the world pass me by. I'm not saying I'm the only one who feels like this, I know many people who would rather give in than fight. But we are the survivors and we fight... it's what we do.
2. Sometimes I miss Arizona. Not enough to move back there, but I miss my mother, I miss the produce markets in Nogales and I miss REAL AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD! Thankfully when I was still living at home, I learned to cook from one of the best cooks I've ever known and the recipes she handed down to me have sustained us since we moved away. I just finished making home made guacamole. I get so excited when I can find avocado's on sale at the grocery. Now if I could find the extra large flour tortilla's they use in AZ for burrito's and chimichanga's I'd be over the moon!
3. My favorite season is Autumn. I love the way the air smells, the leaves changing color, the harvest festivals and Samhain. Samhain is the end of summer, the third and final harvest and the Witch's New Year. Samhain marks the beginning of the dark part of the year, and it is also when the veil between the worlds is at it's thinnest part which makes communication with our ancestors and others who have gone on before us easier to have. Autumn also means pumpkin! I love pumpkin...pumpkin coffee, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cheesecake...everything pumpkin!
4. There are times I think I'd like to own a piece of property large enough to have a multiple family community where we have a common goal to live a sustainable life off the land. Grow our own vegetables, fruits and livestock for those who aren't vegans or vegetarians. Live *off the grid* so to speak, not like some radical crazy person, just live peacefully among close friends and family and be able to survive without wondering what the government is going to try to regulate, or mandating how we live and love.
5. I am an avid supporter of equal rights for the LGBT community. I firmly believe everyone should be able to love who they choose and in turn marry that person regardless of whether it is someone of the same sex or not. Marriage is a legal contract mandated by the states a person resides in and since the *state* requires a license or contract there is no reason to allow a church to dictate the terms and conditions of who can or cannot be married. If someone wants to be married in the church AFTER they have obtained a marriage license from the issuing state, then and only then should there be a question of the church having any say in the matter. If a minister decides he cannot marry a same sex couple by the mandates of his particular faith, that is the ONLY time a same sex couple should be denied the same rights and privileges as a heterosexual couple.
6. I am an electronic junkie. I don't always have all the latest and greatest gadgets on the market, but I do keep everything updated and in tip top working condition. I'm very fortunate to have the things I do and I appreciate everything Jimmy does in order to allow me to have the things I do. And seriously, I'd be lost without my laptop, iPod, phone and Nook. LOL!
7. My favorite colors are black and royal purple. You know, that vibrant deep purple, the one that's deeper than an amethyst. Don't get me wrong, I like all shades of purple from a very pale lavender and everything in between. But I prefer the deep deep deep purple that can only be found on the soft inner petals of the pansy.
8. Over at Ashford University, I've begun my sophomore year, I'm in my 10th class and I'm maintaining a 3.9GPA. Not bad for a grandma who hasn't been in any type of classroom setting since I got my cosmetology license in 1981. (Which BTW, I keep current even though I'm no longer working in the salon or behind a chair). The current class is Informal Logic and I'm learning to argue *logically* LOL!!
9. Among my hobbies, I like to read, sew, scrapbook, bake, and I'm a gardener in the making. If it's spring or fall, you can find me outside. Not so much in the summer when it's 100* and so humid you can't breathe. Before moving here to NC, I didn't have much of an outside space where I could play in the dirt, now we have a HUGE yard and a nice area for plants. Unfortunately, I usually forget to either water them or use the Miracle grow... so far I haven't actually killed anything...
10. I do not like having my picture taken... never have. That's why there aren't many photos floating around in cyberspace. Yes, there are a few... but only a very few.
Well, there you have this weeks Ten Things Thursday. Hope you weren't too bored and actually found something you hadn't known before. I'm thinking next week, I'll do something about my top 10 all time favorite books, or music, or TV shows, or movies...