Tuesday, July 17, 2012

When I Needed You...

...each and every one of you affirmed the true meaning of friendship

Last week on Thursday I got a frantic call from my daughter in MD. My 16 year old granddaughter had run away. Now, many people would say this is to be expected, it's something that most teens do. Not so with Cheyenne. She isn't a *normal* teen in as much as the rebellion and rocky relationship with her parent. Cheyenne and Mylia have an amazing parent/child relationship. And for this to have happened was incomprehensible. None of us could begin to wrap our heads around what might have caused  the flight.

As soon as I got the news, I immediately sent out a cry for help. Everyone of you picked up that cry and flung it even wider across the interwebs. I posted a picture of Cheyenne that went viral and was seen and shared over 17,000 times within 10 hours. The police in MD were called, and the waiting began...

Jimmy rented a car, I threw some things into a bag, and we hit 95N at 8:00PM on our way to do what ever we could to help find Chey. My phone blew up and continued to buzz every few seconds with messages of support, some of them from people I had no idea who they were. But since I posted the picture with my contact information *publicly* for everyone to see, it stands to reason I got messages from strangers.

This was a very emotional time for me, I was more than worried, had questions I couldn't find answers to, and was about as close to a break down as one can get. But I HAD to be strong because I didn't know what I'd walk into once I got to my daughter's house. As the messages of support continued to come in, I did have a mini meltdown... I was completely overwhelmed.

I'm just me, a normal wife, mother, grandmother and friend. I'm nothing special. Evidently many of you disagree with my opinion of myself because you all showed me how much you care. I can't begin to express how much you all mean to me, you are the best friends and family anyone could possibly ask for. If any of you EVER find yourself in a situation where you need something... a prayer, a hug, to vent, to scream, to cry... ANYTHING... I hope you will turn to me and I can try to reciprocate the unconditional love you have shown to me.

We were an hour away from our destination when I got the call that Cheyenne had come home on her own. To say that I was relieved would be quite the understatement. As soon as I could I sent a message letting everyone know. And again the responses (even at 12:30AM on Friday morning) were beyond belief...

When we arrived, my first thought was to give both my girls a huge hug, I needed to wrap my arms around them, just to make sure they were really alright. Then I wanted to know why Chey made the decision she had. I think I surprised them all by not ranting and yelling... all I wanted was for her to be safe and thankfully she was. There were those who felt they had the *right* to scream, rant, rave, degrade, and generally try to make her feel even more guilty than she already did... if that was even possible. Luckily those people weren't there when I arrived, this was NOT a time for screaming... Cheyenne needed comfort and to be able to explain.

The reasons behind the flight are many and complicated. But NONE of them have anything to do with the relationship between my daughter and granddaughter. Cheyenne is a *protector*, she defends everyone in her life, whether  they be family, friends or acquaintances. This time it was a friend in need, someone who was being physically abused at home. And even though it had been reported, there wasn't enough evidence to do anything about it. The friend decided they needed to leave home and Chey being the type of friend she is, made the only decision she thought would work at the time... she left with them so her friend wouldn't be alone.

After discussing things with her mother, Chey figured out she actually could have brought the friend home with her. And even if said friend wasn't exactly the most favorite person, they would never be turned away when they need help. That's just how we do things in our family... unfortunately, things aren't going well for the friend after they got home. It looks like all forms of communication have been suspended, no cell phone, no internet, no nothing. And to make a difficult situation even worse, the friend is being sent away to military school. I'm praying this will be a good decision in the end... I'm hoping the friend will become more self confident and able to stand up to the abusers... I'm praying ...

So there you have my adventures in the readers digest version. I can never express how much I appreciate every one of you. Your love, prayers and support helped to bring Cheyenne home safe... sooner than I thought. I am eternally grateful for my friends and I love each and every one of you...

4 comments:

  1. I am glad that Chey is home safe and sound Vickie.
    Yes, your opinion of yourself is so way off base, you are a wonderful person and I am fortunate to call you friend. I am so glad that we were all able to help get that picture out ( Wow, 17,000?! That is amazing!) and send the energy needed to help her get home. She sounds like a special girl, and while her method could use some tweaking, it is obvious she has a huge heart and that is a good thing. I am sure now she knows that in the future she can bring someone home who needs help. I feel so bad for the other kid, but if there is abuse at home, even Military school might be better, if it means they are out of harms way from the parents or whomever the caretakers are.

    Anyway, I am glad she is home, and that you are home. Thanks for giving us an update!

    oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chey's mother appreciates it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad everything turned out well for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you and your family. Keeping Chey's friend in thoughts and prayers as well. It was AWESOME getting to meet you and Jim last weekend!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete