Sunday, September 4, 2011

Things That Irritate Me...

This past week has been chock full of things that have either pissed me the fuck off or made me grin like an idiot. And most of it takes place on Facebook...yeah I know, Vickie, get real...FACEBOOK?? I have MANY friends on FB, some I know personally, some I'm hoping to meet very soon and others are my virtual friends who mean just as much to me as if I had a face to face personal relationship with them.

There's this "Status Update *Game*" going around that is supposed to promote breast cancer awareness. First, let me clarify, it does absolutely NOTHING to promote awareness of anything, let alone breast cancer. It goes something like this:

Ok pretty ladies, it's that time of year again, in support of breast cancer awareness!! So we all remember last years game of writing your bra color as your status?.....or the way we like to have our handbag handy? Remember last year so many people took part that it made national news and, the constant updating of status reminded everyone why we're doing this and helped raise awareness!! Do NOT tell any males what the status' mean, keep them guessing!! And please copy and paste (in a message )this to all your female friends to see if we can make a bigger fuss this year than last year!!! I did my part... now YOUR turn ! Go on ladies...and let's have all the males guessing! .. It's time to confuse the men again (not that its really that hard to do :)) Everyone knows it makes their brains work wonders on what we're talkin about!! The idea is to choose the month you were born and the day you were born. Pass this on to the GIRLS ONLY and lets see how far it reaches around. The last one about the bra went round all over the world.

So you'll write... I'm (your birth month) weeks and I'm craving (your birth date)!!! as your status. Example: Feb 14th: I'm 2 weeks and craving Chocolate mints!!

January-1week, Febuary-2 weeks, March-3 weeks, April-4 weeks, May-8 weeks, June-9 weeks, July-10 weeks, August-12 weeks, September-13 weeks, October-14 weeks, November-16 weeks, December-18 weeks.

Days of the month: 1-Skittles, 2-Starburst, 3-Kit-Kat, 4-M&M's, 5-Galaxy, 6-Crunchie, 7-Dairy Milk, 8-Lollipop, 9-Peanut Butter Cups, 10-Meat Balls, 11-Twizzlers, 12-Bubble Gum, 13-Hershey's Kisses, 14-Chocolate Mints, 15-Twix, 16-Resse's Fastbreak, 17-Fudge, 18-Cherry Jello, 19-Milkyway, 20-Pickels, 21-Creme Eggs, 22-Skittles, 23-Gummy Bears, 24-Gummy Worms, 25-Strawberry Pop Tarts, 26-Starburst, 27-Mini Eggs, 28-Kit-Kat Chunky, 29-Double Chocolate Chip Crunchy Cookies, 30-Smarties, 31-Chocolate Cake

Not only did I find this particular game tasteless, but it was down right hurtful and in my opinion, insulting to MANY people. Case in point: I have a friend on FB whose daughter has been told she won't EVER be able to have children. So imagine the surprise and joy my friend felt when she saw the daughters status update saying she was "X" weeks and craving "X", only to be devastated when she finally spoke to her daughter at the end of the day and daughter told her it was only a "game" she had been playing.

And, I can't for the life of me see where this "game" raises awareness for cancer or for anything else. NO WHERE in the "game" does it say anything about breast cancer. You get the blurb in the message sent to you from your friends who may be participating. But, HOW IN THE HELL does anyone else know what you are trying to do?

Oh yeah, have I mentioned yet that Breast Cancer Awareness month is OCTOBER?? And men can and do get breast cancer just as often as women do?

Ya'll know me, I can't keep my mouth shut even on my BEST days...and this past week, there weren't many of those days. So my outspokenness resulted in me being "unfriended" by someone who played this game, thought it was fun and told me I need to lighten up, stop being so serious about things that don't directly affect me, just have some fun, and that it was no wonder I suffer from depression. I see the unfriending as a GREAT thing. I was getting pretty tired of the constant "it's all about me" coming from her. And let me tell ya, my news feed has been alot nicer place since she's gone, LOL!!

Well, my lovelies, that's all I have for this post. Keep your eyes open for the one that lets you know what has me grinning like an idiot...

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way. I saw a lot of responses to the friends participating that were along the lines of "Congrats!" "Another already?" and BF/husbands saying "this is how you tell me?" I considered doing it for a split second- then I realized my hubby is fixed and that might raise all kinds of awful questions.

    So instead of posting some potentially harmful status- I messaged all 105 people connected to my message telling them it was a good way to start nasty rumors and that it did nothing for any kind of cancer awareness. I mean at least the bra one involved boobies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the same with the "One out of five-hundred people can't smell, and I am sure my friends will be the 0.001% on FB brave enough to copy and paste this as their status" things. I don't see how this is supposed to help anyone - the only thing it does is spam through everybody's walls and patience. But many people do it because it gives them the idea they are doing something "good", hence anesthetizing their conscience.

    ReplyDelete