Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dammit That Hurts!!

Living here in south eastern North Carolina, we are somewhat fortunate to be blessed with "pop up" thunder storms on any given summer after noon. Today was no exception. Just about dinner time a nice, noisy thunder boomer came rolling in. Jimmy & I were next door at the sister's house for BBQ chicken. After dinner Jimmy left before I did because Tuesday is his WoW raid night and he needs to be on the computer by 7:30 at the latest. Not a problem.

When I finally got the gumption to walk across the yard to get to our house, I look out and it's still raining, but not very hard, so I should be OK to make it home without any incidents...YEAH RIGHT! This is Vickie we're talking about, remember??

(Side note: this is the sister who's house is under going some renovations to the outside...her decks have been pulled away from the side of the house so the new siding can be put up. So we are using an improvised gang plank type entrance from the front deck to her front door. And the steps UP to the deck have also been removed, and we are using a rubber maid type step stool to get UP on the deck.)

So out the door I go and across the "gang plank" to the deck...I notice it's a little slippery from the rain, but not too bad and since I've done this so many times in the past few weeks, I'm feeling pretty good about making it. I do, and get to the edge of the deck to step down onto the rubber maid type step to get onto solid ground. I step off the deck, all lined up and miss the damn stool, my foot hits the ground and something goes POP in my right knee... this is the knee I re injured back in January when I stubbornly walked the mile to the corner store for cigarettes for someone who was making life pretty miserable for all the parties involved.

At this point I don't know whether to laugh or cry and Sis, thinks I've just lost my balance...but the "ow, ow, OW, OW, OW!!'s keep getting louder so she comes to check on me. I can't put ANY weight on my right leg, BUT I CAN bend it at the knee so I know I didn't blow the knee nor did I break my leg. The niece and brother in law come out to help, someone calls Jimmy and he comes running over. I REFUSE to go to the hospital...and anyone who knows ANY thing about Cape Fear Regional Medical Center will understand my reasoning for not going.

I get loaded up in the van, A (the niece) finds a pair of crutches for me, and off to the house we go, right up to the steps that lead to the front door. You shoulda seen me trying to get up those wet slippery steps on crutches, you woulda laughed your asses off...I know I DID even through the pain. Chaos and Calliope were going crazy, I was trying to get to the bedroom change outta the wet clothes, get onto the bed and elevate the knee.

Here I sit, with this cool contraption M (the brother in law) got when he had his knee replacement surgery, it's like a brace, but attached to a reservoir via a couple hoses, and there's a bulb like on a sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff) You squeeze the bulb and it sends cold water from the reservoir up to the brace type thing and  does away with the need for ice packs. WOW I'm loving that, cause I HATE ice packs, they are so uncomfortable.

Any who, looks like I'm gonna be on light duty and bed rest for a day or two, and that means I'm attached to the laptop and cell phone. So send me LOTS of messages so I have something besides Farmville to occupy my time, LOL!

All I can say is it's a GOOD thing I have already written and submitted my contribution for 31 Days of Deity...

1 comment:

  1. OUCH! You poor thing! I hope you feel better soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete