Monday, January 3, 2011

Hoof and horn, hoof and horn...

...all that dies, shall be reborn.
Corn and grain, corn and grain,
all that falls, shall rise again. ~ B.O.G




On January 2, 2011 between the hours of 4AM and 5AM, the Maryland Pagan community lost one of their beloved members.

Nicholas Smith, also known to many as Nick Wizard passed into the Summerland after an extended illness.

Nick was one of the first people I met after moving to the Annapolis, MD area in 2004. My Spirit Sister and best friend Silver along with her husband Wolf invited Jimmy and I to attend a Ritual that was being held at Nick's home near Bowie, MD. When we arrived, Silver wasn't there yet, but when we knocked on the door, it was opened by this man who had such a beautiful aura around him, he took my breath away for just a split second.

Nick invited us into his home, and didn't hesitate to make us welcome, even though we had never before met one another. We explained that Silver had invited us and after that it was like we were part of his family. I will never forger that night, it was one of the most powerful Rituals I had attended up until that point and the fellowship and camaraderie after was far more than me in my Pagan newbiness even dared to hope for. The food was amazing, simple fare he told us, but to me it tasted like home, the drinks were strong...my first time trying Mead, and conversation was all inclusive. We were not made to feel outsiders, but included in whichever discussion was going on around us at the time.

After that night, over the next two years, we were invited back to Nick's home on many occasions and we spent quite a few weekends together with him and our mutual friends at Maryland Renaissance Faire and Maryland Faerie Festival.

Jimmy and I moved away from MD October 31, 2006. Over the past 4 years I have kept in contact with Silver, and kept up with our Pagan/RenFaire/Faerie Festival friends through messages and the pictures they posted on Facebook. Even though I wasn't able to keep in direct contact with Nick, I did see the many photo's of him that various people posted.

Yesterday, I was getting ready to run some errands when I got the news that Nick had passed. This was so unexpected to me. I didn't know he was ill or had been for as long as he was. My reaction to the news...my heart hurt, literally. I couldn't breathe, and the tears were...tears. All I could think was, "why Nick?, why did such a generous and well loved person have to be taken?" I still don't have those answers, don't know if I ever will. But I do know I will miss him, greatly...

Goddess guide you and keep you safe until we meet again, Nick. Rest well in the Summerland as you prepare for your next journey, what ever that may be.

1 comment:

  1. Endless love and blessings to you and your friend. His memory and spirit will be kept alive, and you will enjoy is welcoming presence once more! )O(

    ReplyDelete